The Search Service is currently offline
The search service is currently offline. Visit the services on server page in SharePoint central administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progressYou will get the below screen when you navigate to the default content access account, crawl log or default content access account in the Search Server Administration.
Following are the steps to fix this issue.
- Open central administration
- Goto Operations -> Topology and Services -> Services on Server
- Select Search Indexing -> On “Office SharePoint Server Search” click “Stop”. This will reconfigure the service
- Now click “start”
- Navigate to the indexer log file location which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Data\Office Server\Applications” for me. Here you will find a folder with Guid name. At the end of that folder add “_old”. Refresh the SSP page and wait for some time and now the indexer will recreate the guid folder.
- This will fix this issue.
If this doesn't work out, then check the service account which is running the search service (default content access account for crawling the content). If there are any changes in the account, then this might also be the problem for the search service to go offline.
Please free to comment. Hope this helps you!