Deprecated Features in SharePoint 2016 Preview
1. SharePoint Foundation 2013 remains available for use
2. Previous releases of SharePoint Server included SharePoint Foundation, a free edition of SharePoint that included most of the core functionality and architecture provided by the commercial editions of SharePoint. SharePoint Foundation is no longer available in the SharePoint Server 2016 release.
Standalone Install mode
SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview doesn't support the standalone install option, so it is no longer available in the setup program. Use the MinRole during installation and choose one of the available install options. The Single Server Farm option where everything is installed on the same computer is supported for dev/test/demo purposes. When you use this option, you must install SQL Server yourself and then run the SharePoint Server 2016 farm configuration wizard.. For more information, see "MinRole farm topology" in New and improved features in SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview.
ForeFront Identity Manager client (FIM)
Earlier versions of SharePoint used ForeFront Identity Manager client (FIM) to synchronize between Active Directory and SharePoint. SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview no longer uses FIM as the synchronization client. The default process is Active Directory Import. You can also use any synchronization tool such as Microsoft Identity Manager 2016, or any third-party tool. We'll soon release tools to help you deploy and configure Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 to work with SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview for identity synchronization.
Excel Services in SharePoint
Excel Services and its associated business intelligence capabilities are no longer available in SharePoint Server. Excel Services functionality is now part of Excel Online in Office Online Server Preview, and SharePoint users can use the services from there.
The following Excel Services functionality has been deprecated:
- Trusted data providers
- Trusted file locations
- Trusted data connection libraries
- Unattended service account
- Excel Services Windows PowerShell cmdlets
- Opening of Excel workbooks from SharePoint Central Administration site
The following Excel Services functionality requires Excel Online in Office Online Server Preview:
- Viewing and editing Excel workbooks in a browser (with or without the Data Model)
- Excel Web Access web part for SharePoint
- ODC file support (no longer requires Data Connection Librariees)
SharePoint BI capabilities
SharePoint Server 2016 requires updated versions that will ship later this year. The SQL Server 2014 Power Pivot and Power View add-ins for SharePoint 2013 cannot be deployed or used in SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview. The following business intelligence features won't be available until then:
- Power Pivot Gallery
- Scheduled Data Refresh
- Using another workbook's Data Model as a data source
- Power View reports (standalone or embedded in Excel workbooks)
- Power View Subscriptions and Report Alerting
Power Pivot Management Dashboard
- BISM Link support
Tags and Notes
The Tags and Notes feature is no longer available in SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview. Users can no longer create new tags and notes or access existing ones.